-- Nécrologie --
Publié le 4/09/10 12:01 -- mis à jour le 00/00/00 00:00
As a film (1) telling his life, for which James Dorrian is advisor and co-producer, will soon be finished, Michael Burn died last evening after a stroke. He was 97.
James Dorrian mailed the CREDIB of Saint-Nazaire last night : « Sad news this evening. Micky Burn died a few hours ago, after a massive stroke. He was unique, and will be sadly missed ».
He had already had a stroke in July, as James Dorrian, on his blog (2), writes : « Saturday [July 10th] was spent with Micky Burn, who has now left hospital and is being looked after at home. For someone who has had a stroke, his intellectual grasp remains amazing, with a memory of past (in his case, at almost 98, VERY past) events that puts the rest of us to shame. »
Michael Clive Burn, is an English journalist, commando, writer and poet. In connection with his part in the Operation Chariot (3), he received the Military Cross (MC), the third most important British distinction awarded to British officers.
Saint-Nazaire and the Breton people will not forget his courage to fight against the nazi Monster.
(1) Mike Burn's autobiography « Turned towards the sun » is the red thread of the documentary film by James Dorrian.
(2)James Dorrian's blog : (voir le site) « Dedicated to promoting the memory of the March 1942 Combined Operations raid on the French Atlantic port of St-Nazaire, whose purpose was to deny Tirpitz the use of the giant 'Normandie' dry dock. The raid succeeded in its aim - but at a heavy cost. »
(3) The St Nazaire Raid or Operation Chariot : the British raid that, in the night of March 27-28th, 1942, was going to change the course of the « Battle of the Atlantic » making out of use the « Normandy Dock ». Following that Mick Burn was made a prisoner and stayed in the Colditz camp where he helped the Secret radio operator. Then he published in The Times in 1945, about what had been going on in Colditz.
His obituary has been published on Sept. 6th by the Telegraph : (voir le site) with a photo of his capture in Saint-Nazaire. With his fingers he gives the V for Victory sign.
Another one on September 13th by the Washington Times : (voir le site)
- Cérémonie de Opération Chariot sous le signe du centenaire de la Révolution irlandaise par Hubert Chémereau le 07/03/2016
- Turned towards the sun, le film sur Micky Burn, projeté à Nantes le 23 janvier par Maryvonne Cadiou le 14/01/2014
- A premiere in Brittany for the movie Turned towards the sun par Hubert Chémereau le 18/04/2013
- Première bretonne du film Turned towards the sun par Hubert Chémereau le 02/04/2013
- 70th commemoration of Operation Chariot 1942-2012 in Saint-Nazaire on March 28th par CREDIB le 13/03/2012
- British and Bretons salute the heroes of Operation Chariot in Saint-Nazaire par CREDIB le 06/04/2011
- Le grand héros de l'opération Chariot, Mike Burn, est décédé par Maryvonne Cadiou le 04/09/2010
- Une équipe américano-britannique en tournage à Sant-Nazer pour la vie de Mike Burn par CREDIB le 14/04/2010