-- La diaspora --
Publié le 20/07/08 11:42 -- mis à jour le 00/00/00 00:00
Noel Maguire, an Irish man who was arrested as part of a Real IRA bombing campaign in 2001, has had his request for repatriation to Ireland rejected yet again by the Department of Justice.
The Celtic League have been campaigning for Mr Maguire's repatriation, along with his four other co-defendants since their arrest in 2003. All of Maguire's co-defendants, who included brothers Robert and Aiden Hulme, have now been repatriated to Ireland and Maguire is said to be the last 'political' prisoner in an English jail.
Sinn Féin parliament member (TD), Aengus Ó Snódaigh, who has been making representations for Mr Maguire, said that with a wife and children in Ireland he should be close to his family. Moreover, his family live only an hour from Portlaoise Prison, which is where Maguire has requested a transfer to. However, the Irish Department of Justice has reportedly inferred that they did not deem Maguire's ties to the state to be strong enough to warrant repatriation. This is despite the fact that Maguire has two sisters and a brother, as well as uncles and aunts also living in Ireland, is from County Fermanagh (north of Ireland), has an Irish passport and no relatives in Britain.
According to international law, all prisoners have a right to apply to be repatriated to their home state – a request obviously being denied Mr Maguire. In refusing his application, the Department of Justice is effectively saying that Mr Maguire is not Irish enough.
The General Secretary (GS) of the League has written to the Minister of Justice, Mr. Dermot Ahern T.D to ask for confirmation that the refusal of Mr Maguire's application is not in breach of the Irish Constitution, EU law and Coucil of Europe rules regarding the repatriation of prisoners.
«Mr. Dermot Ahern T.D
Minister of Justice, Equality and Law Reform
Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform 94 St. Stephen's Green
info [at] ...
Dear Mr. Dermot Ahern T.D
Repatriation of Noel Maguire
We were disappointed to learn that the application for Mr Maguire's repatriation to the Republic of Ireland was rejected on the alleged grounds that his links to the state were not strong enough.
However, Mr Maguire has a wife and children living in the Republic, no relatives in Britain and an Irish passport. Even if it was only Mr Maguire's wife and children living in the Republic, surely this would be enough to give Mr Maguire reasonable grounds to be granted repatriation?
I am aware that it is not common policy to comment on individual cases, but in this situation can you confirm that you are not in breach on the Irish Constitution and EU laws concerning the repatriation of mMr Maguire given the circumstances?
We look forward to your reply.
General Secretary Celtic League
CC Aengus Ó Snódaigh TD Commissioner Jacques Barrot, Vice President, Justice, Freedom and Security, European Commission»
See related articles on Celtic News at:
J B Moffatt Director of Information Celtic League
- Le nouveau Premier ministre parle catalan et soutient les prisonniers politiques catalans en Espagne par Philippe Argouarch le 05/07/2020
- Information sur les prisonniers politiques catalans face à la pandémie et face à la politique de l'Etat espagnol dans la gestion de la crise par Georges Labouysse le 06/04/2020
- Breizh Europa soutient les prisonniers politiques catalans par Breizh Europa le 12/02/2019
- L’auto-détermination n’est pas un crime alors libérez les prisonniers politiques catalans ! par RPS le 12/02/2019
- Près de 10 000 Basques ont manifesté à Paris pour le rapprochement des prisonniers politiques par La rédaction le 10/12/2017
- ANH : signature du manifeste en faveur de l'amnistie des prisonniers et militants politiques corses recherchés par Association des Nations de l'Hexagone (ANH) le 16/08/2015
- Manifestation de soutien aux 800 prisonniers politiques basques par skoazell vreizh le 11/01/2011
- Campagne internationale de soutien aux prisonniers politiques en grève dela faim au Chili par UDB le 13/08/2010
- LBDH. Le cas de Denis Riou, une illustration concrète des observations du commissaire européen aux droits de l'homme sur les prisons françaises par Ligue Bretonne des droits de l'Homme le 27/11/2008
- Republican Sinn Fein Ard Fheis - greetings from Breizh par Emgann-Mgi le 07/11/2008
- Problème de santé de Denis Riou, la LBDH informe le CPT organisme interne au Conseil de l'Europe par Ligue Bretonne des droits de l'Homme le 17/07/2008
- 150 prisonniers politiques basques en France par Askatasuna le 18/02/2007
- Solidarité avec les prisonniers de guerre irlandais. par Emgann-MGI le 22/06/2006
- Rassemblerment de soutien aux prisonniers politiques Bretons. par Emgann-MGI le 07/06/2005
- Prisonniers bretons mal soignés : Bruxelles déclare la pétition de la C.A.R.B. recevable par Klaod An Duigou le 10/01/2005