-- Cultures --
Publié le 12/03/10 0:22 -- mis à jour le 00/00/00 00:00
The Kernow Branch of the Celtic League donated £100 to a Cornish language preschool for St Piran's Day this year, after the money was given to the organisation by a member with the caveat that the money be used to promote the Cornish language in Cornwall.
The Cornish bilingual preschool – the only one of its kind in Cornwall – runs every Saturday for children between the ages of 2 and 5 years of age and were thrilled to receive the money from the branch. Émilie Champliaud, one of the organisers of the preschool, said that the parents were absolutely thrilled by the donation, which also included the gift of a St Piran's flag for each of the children.
Mrs Champliaud said:
«The donation to the school from the Celtic League wasn't the only money we received on St Piran's Day strangely enough and we were not expecting anything in fact.»
«There is a huge cost involved though in running a preschool – even if it is only on a Saturday. Everyone who is involved in the school gives up their time voluntarily, but these kinds of donations show that our efforts to promote the language are supported within the community.»
The money donated by the Kernow Branch will go towards buying materials, like paints and paper, for the children to use in the school. The school runs every Saturday during term time in the Karenza facility of Cornwall College Camborne, between 10 30 and 12 30. Anyone wishing to know more should contact Emilie on 07787318666
This article prepared for Celtic News by Rhisiart Tal-e-bot, General Secretary Celtic League.
For follow-up comment or clarification contact:
Issued by the Director of Information Celtic League
- The League: Campaigning for Cornwall par Celtic League le 29/07/2010
- Le Télégramme de Brest et les Cornouailles... d'outre Manche par OMEB le 10/06/2010
- Cornwall: League congratulate Cornwall on framework initiative par Celtic League le 10/06/2010
- Cornwall: National Trust campaign update par Celtic League le 10/06/2010
- BBC election bias concern par Celtic League le 13/04/2010
- Kernow: Funds for preschool donated par Celtic League le 12/04/2010
- BBC interview on Cornish language preschool initiative par Celtic League le 03/03/2010
- Kernow: EHRC Respond to League par Celtic League le 05/02/2010
- Academic Backs Kernow NT Campaign par Celtic League le 01/02/2010
- La Cornouaille britannique et le Finistère ont signé un partenariat par Philippe Argouarch le 26/05/2008
- Elections locales en Cornouaille britannique : 7 élus districaux pour le parti nationaliste Mebyon Kernow par Jacques-Yves Le Touze le 04/05/2007