Publié le 7/11/21 1:16 -- mis à jour le 08/11/21 18:56
The European Language Equality Network (ELEN) General Assembly will be held in Santiago de Compostela, Galiza, on Saturday 13th November and hosted by the leading Galician language NGO, A Mesa pola Normalización Lingüística, and bringing together representatives of territorial language organisations from across Europe.
The meeting will kick-off with an address to delegates by UN Special Rapporteur Fernand de Varennes, followed by a presentation and discussion with the Chair of the European Charter for Regional of Minority Languages’ Committee of Experts, Prof. Vesna Crnić-Grotić, former ECRML Committee of Experts representative for Spain, Dr. Fernando Ramallo, and Galician MEP Ana Miranda Paz.
The ELEN agenda is packed with discussion, debates and resolutions on the various crucial issues affecting ELEN members including the controversy over the upcoming audiovisual law in Spain, the Irish Language Act campaign, the censuring of the Molac Law in France, the second “homes” problem and its impact on territorial language communities, the UNESCO Decade for Indigenous Languages, and the current debate over Gaelic.
In addition, ELEN will also be electing a new President, reconvening its Steering Committee, welcoming several new member organisations to the network, and discussing ongoing advocacy and language project work.
ELEN Secretary-General Davyth Hicks said that, “We are delighted that A Mesa are welcoming us to Galicia, especially at a time when the ongoing campaign for the normalization of Galician is at such a crucial stage. We also wish to thank the University of Santiago and the Museo do Pobo Galego for their collaboration and support in hosting the event.
Preceding the General Assembly A Mesa will be hosting an official reception on Friday 12th in partnership with the University of Santiago. Speakers at the event include Antonio López (Rector of the University of Santiago de Compostela), Miguel Santalices (President of the Galician Parliament), María do Pilar García Negro (President of the Galician Culture Federation), María Dolores F. Galiño (Ombudswoman of Galicia), Davyth Hicks (ELEN), and Marcos Maceira (President of the A Mesa).
The evening will close with an exclusive performance by Guadi Galego who is one of the most well-known singers in the contemporary Galician music scene. (Eurolang 2021)
Note to editors :
ELEN is the international NGO that works for the promotion, protection and well-being of European territorial languages. It represents 47 languages with 168 member organisations in 24 European states.
The ELEN General Assembly is being held with the support and collaboration of A Mesa pola Normalización Lingüística, the University of Santiago, and the Museo do Pobo Galego. The General Assembly will be held in a hybrid format with many delegates in attendance and others participating online.
Hashtag for the event #ELEN2021.
Ce communiqué est paru sur ELEN
- Festoù-noz er vro : etre Yaouank ha Penn Kelenn par Kerne Multimedia le 12/09/2022
- Hanna Visko, bet kelennerez en Ukraina ha divroet abalamour d’ar brezel par Anna Mouradova le 09/06/2022
- Rendez-vous de Max avec Marie-Hélène Prouteau par Spered Gouez / L'esprit sauvage le 06/05/2022
- University of Valencia – ELEN Summer School: “Minority Languages: Rights and Practices” 18-22n par ELEN le 11/05/2022
- Accord Mélénchon-EELV, l’UDB le bec dans l’eau ? par Philippe Argouarch le 07/05/2022
- ELEN statement regarding the Supreme Court decision against Catalan-medium education. par ELEN le 25/11/2021
- ELEN GENERAL ASSEMBLY 2021, Santiago de Compostela, Galiza, Report. par ELEN le 18/11/2021
- Plainte déposée devant l'ONU par le réseau ELEN par Alliance Fédéraliste Bretonne - Emglev Kevredel Breizh le 03/08/2021